The LOTRO Buried Treasure Event is a great way to spend down time from questing, or life! A repetitive chance at unearthing tokens, cosmetics and sometimes even mounts. I suggest you pick a couple of characters to do it at the same time so you always have something to do. But let’s follow the Dwarves to the Low-lands of Ered Luin and see what we can find!
Please Note: thie Guide is a work-in-progress. If you notice any errors, please let me know so I can make it as accurate as possible. Thanks!
To skip to a particular part of this guide, please use the menu below:
- Event Dates 2019
- Etiquette at the Event
- Picks, Cave-Claws and Dowsing Gems
- Buried Treasure Quests
- How Rounds Work
- Event Rewards
- Cave-Claw Wrangler Deed Title
As we were given a full year of main events in the Schedule, I can say the dates for 2019 are:
- From: 14th Feburary 2019 at 10am /servertime, To: 19th February at 3am /servertime.
- From: 18th July 2019 at 10am /servertime, To: 22nd July at 3am /servertime.
- Please do not stand, mounted or otherwise, over the Quest-givers or Vendors. It can make interacting with them very difficult.
- If you see someone heading to some Berries, don’t race them for it.
- If a player is releasing a Cave-Claw in an area of dig sites, try someplace else.
- Please consider dismounting at the base camp. It can get crowded and anything that helps it load quicker for players is good for everyone.
- Please also consider limiting, or not using: Cosmetic Pets, Lore-Master Companions and Captain Heralds. They take up space and increase load time.
- Please don’t you involuntary Emote items around quest givers (e.g. mass fainting).
There are three main items that are your ‘treasure hunting equipment’. these are Treasure-Hunters Picks, Trained Cave-Claws and Dowsing Gems. Here’s what they are, how you obtain them and how to use them effectively.
↑ Guide Menu
Obtaining Treasure-Hunter’s Picks
- If your character has never done the LOTRO Buried Treasure Event before, you have an intro quest that grants 10 Picks.
- After that, although you can buy Picks from the LOTRO Store, the best way to amass them is to speak to Quest-Giver Adúlf. You can complete Treasure Hunt every 15 minutes. You receive 2 Picks for this quest.
- Also every 15 minutes you can interact with the Cave-Claw Quest-Giver and obtain the Berries Quest, which also grants 2 Picks
- You can also find Picks when out digging for Buried Treasure, though they are not guaranteed.
- If you wish you may purchase extra Picks
Using Your Picks
Right clicking on a Digging Site will utilise one of your Picks. You may also add them to your quickbars and use them that way. How to maximise your rewards from picks is covered in the rest of the post!
↑ Guide Menu
Trained Cave-Claws are clever little beasts that, when released, will sniff out the best Dig Site from ones nearby so you know which Dig Sites to use your Picks on. Or, importantly, which ones to avoid! They are also Single-Use.
Obtaining Trained Cave-Claw Cages
- You receive 1 × Cave-Claw by completing the Quest Berries
- Cave-Claws may be purchased for 5 × Treasure Hunting Tokens from Sigtír. If used properly you often dig up more tokens than you spend on them!
- Extra Trained Cave-Claws may also be dug up from Dig Sites
Using Your Cave-Claws
- Only use Cave-Claws early in a Round.
- Releaseing a Cave-Claw within a ‘circle’ of Dig-sites minimises your chance of wasting one.
- Ensure you release one when there are a good number of dig-sites nearby
- If another player is near you and appears to be releasing a Cave-Claw, I advise you head somewhere else on the map.
How Far Can Cave-Claws Sniff?
A huge thanks to @JThornshield for this tip on maximising the use of your Cave-Claws!
Great guide! Cave claws sniff out dig-sites up to 20 meters away. If you click a dig-site, it will glow on your radar. Hold the mouse over this radar spot to see how many meters away it is from you. Getting a feel for the distance will help you get the most from your cave claws!
— Jimi Thornshield (@JThornshield) February 15, 2019
How They Detect Dig Sites
Trained Cave-Claws will tell you what size dig site it is: Small, Medium, Large or Huge. It is rarely worth using your Picks on small Dig Sites as at best they give you a couple of tokens, maybe three at a push. Other sized dig sites are worth using your picks on, for their token yield – and sometimes grant you cosmetics, or additional Picks/Claws/Dousing Gems.
Dousing Gems are like magic crystals.
- Very Weak Reading: Small Dig Site
- Slight Reading: Medium Dig Site
- Strong Reading: Large Dig Site
- Very Strong Reading: Huge Dig Site
To get your rewards, all you need to do is speak to the ever-hungry Trained Cave-Claw at base camp.
Once you have all 5, return to the Cave-Claw.
- 2 × Treasure-Hunter’s Pick
- 1 × Dowsing Gem
- 1 × Trained Cave-Claw Cage
You pick up this quest from the Dwarf Aldúlf
However to manage cool-downs on this and Berries, do not turn it in straight away. Complete Berries, then turn in Treasure Hunt.
Reward: 2 × Treasure-Hunter’s Picks (remember you can get 2 every 15 minutes).
↑ Guide Menu
- A round lasts until someone has found a Huge Dig Site.
- There is a short delay while the Field re-sets.
- Don’t use your picks after you receive the on-screen text of Current Round Has Ended. You may waste a pick completely!
Unlike other LOTRO Events, you can get some rewards at the Barter Vendor, but others can be found in Treasure Caches that you unearth.
Inside treasure cache’s you can receive various things
- Buried Treasure Tokens
- Various Cosmetic Items
- Housing Items: Treasure Chest, Dig Site
- Mounts: Cave-Claw-Masked Horse/Pony, Treasure-Laden Goat and Treasure-Laden Horse/Pony. (My Screenshots Here)
Note: Some of the cosmetics available at the Token Vendor, may drop in Treasure Caches. Therefore it’s best to put off buying the cosmetics with tokens until you’re sure you’re done with the event.
↑ Guide Menu
Misc Treasure Cache Rewards
You can acquire all sorts of other items for no tokens from Treasure Caches: Cosmetics, Decorations and Emotes for example. This section needs more screenshots. I will update it when I can!
Note: if your current character already has an Emote they have dug up, you can send it to another one of your characters. They are Bound to Account, so share the love!
Some emotes fall from treasure caches, some from the Barter Vendor and some can be obtain via either of those methods. I’ve recorded ones I have so far. If you want to see these Emotes in action, just tap the button below.
Gem Inspection Emote – Command: /inspectgem
Rich Emote – Command: /rich
Coin Flip Emote – Command: /flipcoin
Douse Emote – Command: /douse
There are a LOT of things available from the Barter Vendor. For the super-committed, 1000 Tokens nets you the Harvest-Brew Goat!
There are various Cave-Claw pets you can barter tokens for. Note these are cosmetic pets and do not actually help you with finding Treasure. You need the Trained Cave-Claw Cage items for that.
You can obtain the Cave-Claw Wrangler title at this event. To do so you will need to:
- Barter for single-use Domesticated Cave-Claws
- Hug one of each type (target the cave-claw and use the /hug command, or quick-slotted emote from Collections.
If you find another player’s cave-claws you can also hug theirs to advance the deed!
TL;DR All sorts found in the ground during the LOTRO Buried Treasure Event!
From tokens, to cosmetics – from homestead decoration to free mounts, the Buried Treasure Event is full of rewards. If you’re patient! And one final tip: Play some music in the background so that the looping Dwarf-tune doesn’t send you loopy, enjoy!