- How to Get the Fishing Hobby
- Before You Start LOTRO Fishing…
- How Fish in LOTRO – Actually Catching Something
- Results of Each ‘Fish’ You Catch
- Improving Your Fishing Skill
- LOTRO Festivals that Include Fishing
- Fishing Deeds
- Watch a Video Version of this Guide
If you’ve never caught something juicy-sweet, here is my Beginners Guide to LOTRO Fishing. I’ll take you though acquiring the hobby and the basics to get you going. Ready to dive in? Maybe the ‘dive’ is the wrong word!
How to Get the Fishing Hobby
Hobby Master Locations
I don’t know if this is a complete list, but according to the Wiki, you can find Hobby Masters in:
- The Shire
- East and West Rohan
- Dol Amroth and Havens of Belfalas
Click the link above for the specific locations. I didn’t want to reproduce work someone else has already done!
There is a Hobby Master on the jetty of Trader’s Wharf in The Wildwood of Bree-land, as some repeatable dailies require fishing. This is in the base camp for the League of the Axe.
Training Your Fishing Hobby
Get Your Free Fishing Rod
There’s no point knowing how to fish in LOTRO, if you do not have a rod to catch the things with! Training a hobby (well, the only hobby) does not cost any coin. The first time you acquire the fishing skill you are given a free Basic Fishing Rod, so you do not to spend silver on one. If you lose your rod, you can purchase a replacement at a Fishing Supplier for 2 × Silver or craft one (if you’re a Woodworker).
Craftable Fishing Rods
Crafted rods look different too and if you make one for yourself they can be used on characters of all levels.
Before You Start LOTRO Fishing…
Once you have trained the Hobby, there are just a couple of things to do before you rush to the nearest pond or lake.
Equip Your Fishing Rod
As you do with weapons and shields, you need to equip your fishing rod.
A fishing rod is a two-handed item, so your main-hand and off-hand weapons or item will de-equip automatically. Remember to re-equip them before going back to questing!
Slot the Fishing Hobby to Quickbars
To ensure no scaly dinner escapes your hook, you should add the Hobby ability to your quickbars. To do this:
- Bring up the Character Panel
- Click ‘Hobby’
- Drag the square icon from the Hobby Panel to an available slot on your quickbars
How Fish in LOTRO – Actually Catching Something
Now you’re finally ready to learn how to fish in LOTRO. Although it is simple, it was not obvious to me when I was a beginner in The Lord of the Rings Online. The steps are:
Casting Your Line
- Head to a body of water: this can be a river, lake or pond. If you are not at a valid fishing spot, you will get an error if you try to cast your line.
- Cast your line: Press the ability you’ve just quick-slotted and you will throw your line into the water.
Wait for Your Hook to Find Something
Is It A Fish?
Regardless of what you actually catch, the LOTRO Fishing animation always shows a fish. Actual results
may will vary!
Reel it In, Whatever ‘it’ is!
Results of Each ‘Fish’ You Catch
Improving Your Fishing Skill
As you increasing in skill, the results of your endeavours will improve. This, as far as I know, does not affect quests in festivals, except perhaps in reducing the frequency you reel in more exciting weeds.
LOTRO Festivals that Include Fishing
- Farmers Faire: from trying to hook lost chairs to trying to not catch a bad fish, the Farmers Faire has a few quests for your new Hobby. These fish (but not the chairs, they belong to someone!) can be bartered for tokens. Even the “bad fish”.
However, LOTRO-Wiki has a reference to the various titles you can acquire.
Watch a Video Version of this Guide
TL;DR – Your One Wish is How to Fish, because… they’re so Juicy-Sweet!
Fishing in LOTRO is a relaxing way to spend time both in and out of festivals. It opens up extra deeds and title as you progress your skill and catch a variety of fishies. As it forms part of Farmers Faire, there’s no reason not to pick this hobby up. If you’re on Evernight and want a crafted rod, just let me know and I’ll see what I can do! So now you know how to fish in LOTRO, get out there and relax!