The Hobbit Mara Sandydowns is one of the first people you see when you first visit Winter-home. Wrapped in warm clothes (even shoes!), she can found constantly warming her hands at the fire while she helps people with Yule Festival. Since I first played Yule Festival probably four years ago I wanted to make Mara Sandydowns’ outfit! There are a couple of version out there on the web, but here’s my rendition. Enjoy – and happy Yule!
To be able to fully create this outfit you will need a few things:
- Dunland: The upper body and shoulder items are both quest rewards. That means they are bound on acquire (BoA).
- Lossoth Reputation: The gloves and (in my case) the boots are Lossoth Tailoring recipes. You will need to have Friend standing with the Lossoth to craft both. The same is true for putting them in an outfit, except if you use Wardrobe.
- Tailor Crafting: To make the item you’ll need to be a Master Tailor. This is either via the Explorer profession, or using the third skill in Armourer)Though you’ll need an explorer character, or friend, to convert hides to leather and any other leather processing you might need.
- Shared Wardrobe (Maybe): if you want to make this outfit for another character who hasn’t reached Dunland yet, you’ll need to unlock Shared Wardrobe (See the Wiki
- Head: Yule Stocking Cap (Crimson), Yule Festival Barter Reward
- Shoulders: Padded Mantle of the Dunland SoothsayerSee the Wiki for other quest rewards that share the same appearance (Crimson)
- Back: Yule Hoodless Cloak (Crimson), Yule Festival Barter Reward
- Chest: Boar Clansman Sentry’s JacketYou can also get the Dunlending’s Hunting Jacket from the Reputation Vendor at Galtrev, though for 1.5 Gold you really need to benefit from the stats to acquire it this way! (White Dye, or Default)
- Hands: Ajokoira Gloves or Ceremonial Ajokoira GlovesOr 195LP from the LOTRO Store
- Legs: Not needed as Chestpiece covers your legs
- Feet: Ajokoira Shoes or Ceremonial Ajokoira ShoesOr 195LP from the LOTRO Store
If you cannot obtain the chestpiece here, do not despair. You can dye the Surcoat of the Yield from the Farmer’s Faire, which also works really well!
Bonus: Find Ered Luin Snowman
Find the Snowman in Ered Luin
I took the most of the shots for this post from the Snowman in Ered Luin. He can be found between Frerin’s Court and Noglond in the hill ay (17.7S, 102.0W)|Coordinates found on the Wiki: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest:Year_9_Travels:_Middle-earth_Curiosities
If you want to join Mara by the fire in Winter-home, grab the /warmhands emote. It’s 195LP in the LOTRO Store)
- Choice of Dye: I have used Crimson Dye throughout, rather than pure Red Dye. I feel this is a closer match and the darker shade is easier on the eyes and (in my personal opinion) looks better.
- Gloves: I have chosen to use a craftable set of gloves rather than Dolen-lhaw. Doing so means you can choose your quest rewards for your class but also you can make some appropriate gloves far earlier (Forochel rather than Dunland) in the Epic.
Disclosure: I prefer Dolen-lhaw but have forgotten to get the item on the last three Dunland runs!
- LOTRO Yule Festival, Quests and Rewards Guide
- A Final Act Quest-Line
- Battle At Frostbluff Solo Seasonal Instance (YouTube, opens in new tab/window)
TL;DR Mara Sandydowns Outfit: Hard Work but Worth It!
Admittedly, if you’re relatively new to LOTRO or haven’t ventured far, Mara Sandydown’s outfit may not be completely feasible. But do try the alternative upper body item suggested. I hope you have fun creating an outfit that suits you. Above all else this festive time, have fun in LOTRO, and let the rewards be the by-product rather than the focus. Happy Yuletide!
Footnotes [ + ]
|1.||↑||Though you’ll need an explorer character, or friend, to convert hides to leather and any other leather processing you might need.|
|2.||↑||See the Wiki for other quest rewards that share the same appearance|
|3.||↑||You can also get the Dunlending’s Hunting Jacket from the Reputation Vendor at Galtrev, though for 1.5 Gold you really need to benefit from the stats to acquire it this way!|
|4, 5.||↑||Or 195LP from the LOTRO Store|
|6.||↑||Coordinates found on the Wiki: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Quest:Year_9_Travels:_Middle-earth_Curiosities|
All my content will always be freely available. However, if you'd like to support myself and my family, please consider buying us a virtual coffee. Either way, thank you for visiting, I appreciate it!