Note April 2019: This post was originally published in 2015, but I had to fix some broken links. Despite its age, the requirements for these Alliance Recruitment Alerts is still the same, so I’ve left the post intact, as it was.
I had a weird and rather disconcerting experience while working on Odessan recently. Having got my first character through the first nine chapters of KotFE, I am now, as most people are:
- Taking on the Sky Fortresses
- Building up Research, Military, Force Sensitives and Underworld Contacts
- Customising companion’s appearance (excluding those at Core Storylevel who we can’t customise)
As part of this first point, you are encouraged to meet with various people across the galaxy, to win their support for the fight against the Eternal Empire. That’s all well and good, until you’re asked to meet with M1-4X (a Trooper Companion). After a dialogue, you are given the mission parameters to win his support – mainly taking part in PvP Warzones (and winning).
Which begs the question: if I’ve logged onto a PvE Server with the sole intention of playing PvE, should I be forced to play PvP?
The Difference Between PvE and PvP
For anyone knew to SWTOR, it may be helpful at this point to quickly explain:
- PvE / Player Versus Environment: pits the player against the programmed galaxy, with NPCs (non-playing characters). You can meet other players (and frequently do) but playing with them or against them is a choice. That means if you think you can do a [Heroic 2+] mission with just you and your companions, then go for it. If another player challenges you to a dual, you are free to refuse.
- PvP / Player Versus Player: still offers you all the PvE stuff but with the added complications that other players can attack you at random. I once experienced this when needing to travel through a PvP area – Dealer’s Den on Tatooine. I didn’t get very far!
SWTOR Offers various other experiences to battle against other players:
- Warzones (which I don’t really understand, especially when conversations about ‘ranked’ and ‘rated’ Warzones kick off)
- Galactic Starfighter (GSF)
- Huttball Championship
But up until now, despite the fact that SWTOR is an MMO, taking part in PvP was entirely optional. With me so far?
Enforcing PvP on PvE Gamers?
So I return to my question: if people choose to play an MMO in PvE mode, should they be ‘forced’ to PvP? I feel that with this current limbo stage between Chapters IX and X of Fallen Empire, BioWare have decided to keep people occupied as long as possible:
- You need supply crates to build up the Alliance Base
- You more of these crates to recruit each ally per planet to your cause
- There’s a lot of on-planet travel time for the missions, even with the new (thank goodness) quick travel to Heroic Areas
So this is like a new ‘endgame’, while we wait for more chapters? I am only part way through my recruiting process and am now faced with Two Required PvP or Group Exercises in order to progress:
- I am regretting not having achieved 100% Affection with Qyzen Fess because I now have to take on World Bosses which require a group
- The M1-4X Mission in KotFE requires me to go win some Warzones.
I feel like I have had my possible achievement limited because I choose to play SWTOR to relax on my own without any obligations. They have effectively added obligations in-game, when all I want to do is chill. I don’t know if not recruiting Qyzen Fess or M1-4X to my cause will mean I am not well equipped for Chapter X. Who knows? But with being forced to PvP I feel I will enjoy KotFE just a shade less than I would have otherwise.
What do you think?
PvP Reactions From Twitter
This post seemed to spark reactions on both sides, so here are some of them!
@FibroJedi Love this! Personally I'm really not a fan of the forced PvP/group things – I'm terrible at PvP and I'm not confident enough to
— A D🍩nut (@DonuttyQueen) November 4, 2015
@FibroJedi … work to win that thing 10x. What ruins the warzones for those who actually enjoys them. So… no. They shouldn't do that.
— 𝔇𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔡𝔣𝔲𝔩 𝔖𝔞𝔫𝔦𝔱𝔶 (@DreadfulSanity) November 4, 2015
@FibroJedi Yeah, I'm iffy on this, I mean. Go BW for adding some PVP incentive. But, I do wish there was an alternate way to get 4X/Pierce.
— Alex D. Geslin (@AlexDGeslin) November 4, 2015
@FibroJedi I don't like it either. At least for Qyzen they gave an alternative to recruit him (longer than World Bosses but doable solo).
— 𝒞𝑒𝓁𝓎𝓃 (@celyntheraven) November 5, 2015
— GrumpyOldDaddy (@SableFlame) November 4, 2015
Thanks so much for the discussion tonight people, really appreciated the interaction, PvP Tips and insights!