Enjoy the sunshine and sweltering heat in Middle Earth during the LOTRO Summer Festival!. A festival of food, kite-flying, fishing and…retrieving things for people who seem to be very careless during the hazy days of Summer! If you’re new to the summer festival or to LOTRO in general, here is a quick overview of the event, what you can expect and what 2017’s mounts are! So let’s get started!
When Does the 2017 LOTRO Summer Festival Run?
This year the LOTRO Summer Festival runs between 28th June and the 16th July 2017. Technically it ends at 3am on 17th July server time, so safe to say most of us, it’s the 16th of July it finishes!
Skip to What You Want to Know!
- Where Are Festival Events Found?
- Summer Festival Quests:
- Celebrating Sunshine Deed
- At the Races!
- Festival Rewards
The Summer Festival starts at the Party Tree in the Shire. The vast majority of Festival quests are available here. Please be aware that for most of the festival the Anniversary Event Scavenger Quests can also be found here so you’ll have to tip-toe through the crowds to find all the Summer Festival ones!
You can also find quests at:
- Celondim, Ered Luin: “Sitting by the Dock” fishing quest.
- Duillond, Ered Luin:, “Missing Things” for Lalfor (see below), along with a dancing quest.
- Thorin’s Hall: “A River Runs Through It”, fishing quest, “Forgotten Errands” for Ambi (see below), along with a dancing quest.
- Bree-land Pond (just South of the Skirmsh Camp): “To the Pond” fishing quest.
- Bywater: for Mathom Fishing, “Stocking the Pond” and “Belongings Gone Fishing”
- The Race Courses: at Bree-land Race Track (near the Festival Ground) and the Shire (Just South of Michel Delving)
There are also standalone race ‘betting’ events that have their own horse transports for: The Keg Races and the Taste of Hobbiton (also see below!).
Summer Festival Quest Information
There are too many quests to list them all here but I’ll highlight a few where I (and the community) want to help you out!
My thanks to General Chat, folks on Twitter and my kinnie on Evernight, Storflin. Combining all their ideas, this is the process I now use to Defeat the Heat!
- Left-click the Heatwave’s ring icon in the Minimap (if you’re over-levelled you may need to enable “Trivial Quests” in Options)
- Run close to the Heatwave
- Press the U Key to target and attempt to do the dialogue with it.
- Click “Continue Quests”
- Extinguish the fire!
@Teriadwyn also provides this helpful tip when chasing Heatwaves down!
And if you're having trouble closing in on the things, put /follow on a keybind and it'll pull you up into range.
— Teriadwyn (@Teriadwyn) July 3, 2017
The first ‘lost items’ quest is Too Much Festival. It requires you to search an area of The Shire for: a teapot, a parasol, some wine, a book and a ball of twine. Here are Foxglove’s cryptic clues and where you can find all the items she needs!
I did say Summer makes people lose things didn’t I? Blame the heat, the overflow of food and drink…or the pipe-weed! Who knows? This time Melliot has lost his lunch, which consists of: Bread, Eggs, Cheese, Porridge and Fresh Mushrooms. Interesting Picnic! Here’s where you can find them all!
You are given a very vague area to look for the crashed kites. However I’ve provided a minimap below to 5 of them. There are more crashed kites on the ground than you need!.
Other Quests in the Shire:
There are bunch of others you can do, most of which are repeatable every 12-14hrs. Here’s just a few!
- Flying High: fly kites in the Shire – all are marked on your map, no searching needed!
- Ice Delivery: carry a huge chunk of ice to Bywater to make desserts, but watch out for Old Ladies, Children and Cats (obviously)!
- Cooling Off: Gulp some water into your mouth and “Create a Fountain” to cool off overheating patrons. Yes, spit that water over them and hope that they’re grateful!
The Stocking the Pond Quest at the Summer Festival is one you need only do once per character. You have to travel around Middle Earth (specifically Thorin’s Hall, Celondim and Bree-land Pond) to catch fish to replenish the Bywater Fishing Lake.
Once you have completed Stocking the Pond once it unlocks 3, 20-minute fishing sprees in those 3 locations.
Why would you want to fish for that long? you may ask! Because Amberjacks, Luillims and Drum are all Barter Currency which can be converted into Summer Festival Tokens, or select cosmetic gear at the Quartermaster. And after you’ve run around after everyone, 20 minutes fishing is quite relaxing I assure you!
The carelessness spreads to Ered Luin next where a failed delivery means items spread all over Thorin’s Hall! Forgotten Errands requires you to find: A Red Jar, a Green Jar, a Blue Bottle, a Note and a Pack. So here they are to help you!
Elves may be immortal, but they are not perfect! Lalfor has lost a few things around Duillond too! You will need to look up as well as around – so enjoy the views while you retrieve his items!
The last Middle Earther who has lost things in the Summer heat is Mosco – who has left fishing equipment and *gasp* his Elevenses somewhere in the vicinity of the Bywater Fishing Lake! Thankfully you, unlike he, are capable of retrieving these things for him!
There is a Deed to complete – Celebrating Sunshine. Completing it gives you the title “Sunshine”. Here are a few pointers in completing it!
- The “Go Fishing In…” parts only complete once you have finished Stocking the Pond. After that you need to complete the 20 minute fishing quests at Thorin’s Hall, Celondim Docks and the Bree-land Pond.
- The “Go Fishing at Bywater” part is granted by completing the 10-minute fishing quest “At the Fishing-Hole”, which is immediately available after finishing Stocking the Pond.
- Gather Fireworks for the Festival: is a timed one-hour quest but you can pre-purchase the fireworks before picking up the quest. To do so, find the Fireworks Vendors, in each of these locations:
- Man Fireworks: Bree-land Festival Grounds
- Elf Fireworks: Duillond (same place as Missing Things)
- Dwarf Fireworks: Thorin’s Hall Inn
- Hobbit Fireworks: The Party Tree, in the same place as the Festival Rewards Barter Vendors.
It’s not quite betting, as there’s no entry fee – but the aim of both The Keg Races and The Taste of Hobbiton is to ‘bet’ on who will win the drinking, or eating race. The Quests are repeatable, even if you fail but look at the cool-down timer!
If you manage to ‘bet’ and win on each individual contestant you unlock a new title: Lucky Duck!.
If you win the bet you earn 6 Festival Tokens. If you lose you can pick up 1 Summer Festival Token from the Consolation Prize Box!
There is a huge amount to choose from so here are items I personally picked up. But be aware that some things may differ based on location – so you can get different wallpapers at the barter vendors in the Shire, Bree-land, Celondim and Thorin’s Hall. So check them out before buying!
LOTRO Summer Festival Steeds
This year’s steeds that can be purchased with Summer Festival Tokens are: Sunflower Steed (40 Tokens – 62% Speed) and Steed of the Summer Sea (20 Tokens – 62% Speed).
Both 2017 and 2016 have sets that require you to only purchase one item but it comes complete with Tunic and Trousers (or dress) and Shoes. I haven’t yet picked up the dress, but I might as there’s tons of festival time left as I write this! I will also update this post as I obtain other rewards!
Resetting Quests to Re-do Them
Thanks to @MeiledoraLOTRO for pointing out that you can reset the cool-down timer on any quest for 5 Mithril Coins. So if you have coins you can almost exchange them for Summer Fest tokens!
TL;DR LOTRO Summer Festival – Something for Everyone!
You can choose to focus on the races, or running around the quests, or wile away the days fishing. The LOTRO Summer Festival has something everyone can enjoy and there’s plenty to barter for with your Summer Festival Tokens too! Get out there and enjoy it while the weather’s still warm!