Enjoy the sunshine and sweltering heat in Middle Earth during the LOTRO Summer Festival! A festival of food, kite-flying, fishing and…retrieving things for people who seem to be very careless during the hazy days of Summer! If you’re new to the summer festival or to LOTRO in general, here’s tons of info on the event, where the quests are and what 2019’s mounts are! This festival could also be described as the ‘slowest’ festival. So don’t rush to grind for tokens, sit back and relax and enjoy Summertime in-game. Let’s get started!
How to Use this Guide
How To Use This Guide
- Below is a collapsed menu of quests. Un-collapse it to jump to the quest you need.
- In the bottom right of your screen is a circle up-arrow. Use this to get back to the top of the page. You can also also use your browser or device’s Back Button.
- Nearly all images can be clicked/tapped to view captions and see a larger version.
- Please let me know any errors so I can best serve the community.
- When is the Event?
- Where Are the Quests?
- Quests at the Summer Festival:
- Celebrating Sunshine Deed
- At the Races
- Festival Rewards
This year the LOTRO Summer Festival runs between 20th June at 10am (Server Time) and the 11th July 2019 at 3am (Server Time). This means that the last full day of the festival is 10th July 2019.
Summer Festival Encore
Summer Festival Encore Dates: 26th September at 10am (server time) to 7th October 2019 at 3am (server time)
The Summer Festival starts at the Party Tree in the Shire. The vast majority of Festival quests are available here.
You can also find quests at:
- Celondim, Ered Luin: “Sitting by the Dock” fishing quest.
- Duillond, Ered Luin:, “Missing Things” for Lalfor (see below), along with a dancing quest.
- Thorin’s Hall: “A River Runs Through It”, fishing quest, “Forgotten Errands” for Ambi, along with a dancing quest.
- Bree-land Pond (just South of the Skirmsh Camp): “To the Pond” fishing quest.
- Bywater: for Mathom Fishing, “Stocking the Pond” and “Belongings Gone Fishing“
- The Race Courses: at Bree-land Race Track (near the Festival Ground) and the Shire (Just South of Michel Delving)
There are also standalone race ‘betting’ events that have their own horse transports for: The Keg Races and the Taste of Hobbiton (Click/Tap to Read More).
I’ve tried to include nearly all quests this year, so I think I’ve mostly managed that – let me know if I’ve missed anything important!
There is a Festival ‘Wrapper’ available from Campanula Chubb near the Vendors at the Party Tree. This requires you to complete just 7 Summer Quests (excluding Horse Race at Bree and The Shire). It awards 3 Tokens.
Complete this 5 times to complete The Heat of Summer (Intro) for a further 5 tokens and to unlock the next ‘level’.
Also, from 2019 – the 5-day wrapper grants Virtue XP, so there’s an extra incentive to taking part!
You can also defeat Heatwaves wherever you find them now, not from different areas as before.
The first ‘lost items’ quest is Too Much Festival. Foxglove Tunnelly is the quest-giver. It requires you to search an area of The Shire for: a teapot, a parasol, some wine, a book and a ball of twine. Here are Foxglove’s cryptic clues and where you can find all the items she needs!
- Foxglove’s Book: 29.7S, 72.1W – on the huge rock.
- Foxglove’s Parasol: 30.2S, 71.5W – by Gaffer Gamgee on Bagshot Row
- Foxgloves Teapot: 29.7S, 71.5W – not far from Opal Goodbody.
- Foxglove’s Twine: 29.9S, 71.5W – under the Party Tree by a black cat.
- Foxglove’s Wine: 29.9S, 71.7W – on a food table under the marquee
Note: Too Much Festival does not count towards the Daily.
Show Item Screenshots
Too Much Festival Additional Reward
As well as Legendary Item XP, you receive 50 Virtue XP for this quest. This is instead of one festival token.
I did say Summer makes people lose things didn’t I? Blame the heat, the overflow of food and drink…or the pipe-weed! Who knows? This time Melliot has lost his lunch, which consists of: Bread, Eggs, Cheese, Porridge and Fresh Mushrooms. Interesting Picnic! Here’s where you can find them all!
- Cheese Basket: 29.7S, 72.0W, under a tree in Appledores.
- Porridge: 29.4S, 71.4W, outside Bag End.
- Fresh Mushrooms: 29.4S, 70.5W, next to the small pond.
- Egg Basket: 30.4S, 71.4W, in The Grange.
- Bread Basket: 30.8S, 71.2W, on the bridge into Hobbiton.
You are given a very vague area to look for the crashed kites. However I’ve provided a minimap below to 5 of them, and some screenshots of some crashed kites too. There are more crashed kites on the ground than you need!.
There are bunch of others you can do, most of which are repeatable every 12-14hrs. Here’s just a few!
- Flying High: fly kites in the Shire – all are marked on your map, no searching needed!
- Ice Delivery: carry a huge chunk of ice to Bywater to make desserts, but watch out for Old Ladies, Children and Cats (obviously)!
- Cooling Off: Gulp some water into your mouth and “Create a Fountain” to cool off overheating patrons. Yes, spit that water over them and hope that they’re grateful!
Ice Delivery Video – Avoid Overheating Hobbits and Cats
Here’s route I take for Ice Delivery, which avoids all hobbits and cats and completes the delivery in half the available time:
The Stocking the Pond Quest at the Summer Festival is one you need only do once per character. You have to travel around Middle-Earth (specifically Thorin’s Hall, Celondim and Bree-land Pond) to catch fish to replenish the Bywater Fishing Lake.
- Where is the best place to find Amberjacks?
That would be Thorin’s Hall on the West Side of the building!
- Where is the best place to find Drums?
At the pond just South of Bree
- Where is the best place to find Luillims?
At Celondim Docks, not far away from the Stable Master
- A River Runs Through It (Thorin’s Hall)
- Sitting on the Dock “of the bay!” – (Celondim)
- The Pond (Just South of Bree)
Why would you want to fish for that long? you may ask! Because Amberjacks, Luillims and Drum are all Barter Currency which can be converted into Summer Festival Tokens, or select cosmetic gear at the Quartermaster. And after you’ve run around after everyone, 20 minutes fishing is quite relaxing I assure you!
This quest does grant 1 Summer Festival Token, but the main focus is fishing for Mathoms and Well-Kept Mathoms! These can be consumed (if you are L20 or over) to improve your reputation with the Mathom Society.
- Pick up the quest from Mellia Pott at the Bywater fishing hut.
- Equip your fishing rod and quick-slot your Hobby skill.
- Fish for Mathoms for 10 minutes! And some weeds…
The carelessness spreads to Ered Luin next where a failed delivery means items spread all over Thorin’s Hall! Ambi can be found in Thorin’s Hall Inn.
Forgotten Errands requires you to find: A Red Jar, a Green Jar, a Blue Bottle, a Note and a Pack. Here’s a map where the pink dots represent an item’s location:
If you want to see screenshots, tap below:
See Forgotten Errands Items
Elves may be immortal, but they are not perfect! Lalfor has lost a few things around Duillond too! You will need to look up as well as around – so enjoy the views while you retrieve his items!
- Lalfor’s Goblet: 24.1S, 93.2W – on the table near the ovens
- Lalfor’s Jewellery Box: 23.9S, 93.0W – on the floor near the workbench
- Lalfor’s Blue Book: 23.8S, 92.9W – on the fountain
- Lalfor’s Brown Book: 23.8S, 92.7W – on the small rock wall at the foot of the tree
- Lalfor’s Bundle of Books: 23.9S, 92.7W – on the floor, by the wall, behind a bench
UPDATED FOR 2019: The last Middle Earther who has lost things in the Summer heat is Mosco – who has left fishing equipment and *gasp* his Elevenses somewhere in the vicinity of the Bywater Fishing Lake! Thankfully you, unlike he, are capable of retrieving these things for him!
As Bywater Pond was redesigned some items have been moved. I have provided new screenshots below, but here are the coordinates:
- Mosco’s Fishing Pole: 31.4S, 69.9W
- Mosco’s Hoe: 31.0S, 70.0W (Leaning against Bywater bridge)
- Mosco’s Lucky Bait: 30.5S, 70.1W (On the edge of the field)
- Mosco’s Elevenses: 30.7S, 69.6W (On the wall)
- Mosco’s Cloak: 31.3S, 69.2W (Far side of the Pond)
There is a Deed to complete – Celebrating Sunshine. Completing it gives you the title “Sunshine”. Here are a few pointers in completing it!
- The “Go Fishing In…” parts only complete once you have finished Stocking the Pond. After that you need to complete the 20 minute fishing quests at Thorin’s Hall, Celondim Docks and the Bree-land Pond.
- The “Go Fishing at Bywater” part is granted by completing the 10-minute fishing quest “At the Fishing-Hole”, which is immediately available after finishing Stocking the Pond.
- Fireworks for the Festival (starts at Bree Festival Grounds) is a timed one-hour quest but you can pre-purchase the fireworks before picking up the quest. To do so, find the Fireworks Vendors, in each of these locations:
- Man Fireworks: Bree-land Festival Grounds
- Elf Fireworks: Duillond (same place as Missing Things)
- Dwarf Fireworks: Thorin’s Hall Inn
- Hobbit Fireworks: The Party Tree, in the same place as the Festival Rewards Barter Vendors.
Important Note: if you logged into LOTRO during the Anniversary Event (and Encore), you should have received a bunch of these periodically through gift boxes. Check your bags and other storage before spending coin!
It’s not quite betting, as there’s no entry fee – but the aim of both The Keg Races and The Taste of Hobbiton is to ‘bet’ on who will win the drinking, or eating race. The Quests are repeatable, even if you fail but look at the cool-down timer!
If you manage to ‘bet’ and win on each individual contestant you unlock a new title: Lucky Duck!
If you win the bet you earn 6 Festival Tokens. If you lose you can pick up 1 Summer Festival Token from the Consolation Prize Box!
There is a huge amount to choose from so here are items I personally picked up. But be aware that some things may differ based on location – so you can get different wallpapers at the barter vendors in the Shire, Bree-land, Celondim and Thorin’s Hall. So check them out before buying!
This year’s steeds that can be purchased with Summer Festival Tokens are: Steed of Summer’s Night (40 Tokens) and the Steed of the Perfect Picnic (20 Tokens).
This year’s steed features a Firefly Lantern, similar to the one in Cosmetics.
2019 – Summers Night and Firefly Theme
This year the theme is “Summers Night” and features fireflies and “Light-Wisps”. So the 2019 Cosmetic outfit items includes:
- Cap of Summer’s Night
- (Hooded or not) Cloak of the Light-Wisps
- Tunic Set of Summer’s Night
- Firefly Lantern (Held Item)
2018 – Picnic Theme
In 2018, there were two themes: Peacock and Picnic, which gives rise to two different dress styles! A quick note: the Peacock Waistcoat and Peacock Trousers are two items. This is different to “tunic and trouser” sets which are one item.
I’ve also included here, previous year’s cosmetic rewards. There are a lot of items in this section. If you want to load them just tap the link below.
Show Previous Cosmetics
From the Quartermasters at Celondim Docks, Thorin’s Hall and Bree Pond you can obtain a Ceremonial Dress. The colour varies at each location – white, green and blue. You can’t preview other colours in outfit preview, so I don’t know that you can dye the dress other colours. I need to test whether this is feasible if you have Wardrobe access, however.
To purchase a Ceremonial Dress you will need one of the Rare Fish> from each region plus 6 Festival Tokens.
- Celondim: Celebhal
- Thorin’s Hall: Silver Haddock
- Bree Pond: Golden Redfish
Note: If you do not want these cosmetics, you can barter the Rare Fish for 2 × Summer Festival Tokens.
2018 Sees some non-Kite pets added as rewards! The Blue Peacock and Blue Peahen pets. Each cost 50 Festival Tokens!
There are several emotes you can barter tokens for at this event:
Fountain Emote – 50 Tokens
Spray water… out of your mouth! Like so:
Hobbit Dance 4 – 50 Tokens
Not one you can get from Dancing quests, I don’t think.
Bubble Fish Pipe Emote – 50 Tokens
It’s smoking, Frodo, but not as you know it!
There are four dyes available at this event, two for Mithril Coins and two for Summer Festival Tokens. These alternate each year, so stock up while you can!
- 6 × Shire Peach Dyes: 8 Tokens
- 6 × Dark Clay Dyes: 8 Tokens
- 6 × Rohan Green Dyes: 10 Mithril Coins
- 6 × Sunset Orange Orange Dyes: 10 Mithril Coins
The other two can be purchased with Mithril Coins. According to a Kin-mate, the dyes that are Token vs Mithril alternate each year, so if you like the dyes, best stock up!
Why duplicate work when someone else in the LOTRO community already does it so well? So, if you want to find out which decorations can be obtained for Summer Festival Tokens, then hop over to Déco du Milieu site!
Lastly, you can pick up, and possibly finish, the Fortunate Festival Fishes Deed. This grants the Rare Fish title, but it takes some dedication! You will need to catch:
- 20 × Starry Flounder (Bywater Pond, I think)
- 20 × Golden Redfish (Bree Pond)
- 20 × Silver Haddock (Thorin’s Hall)
- 20 × Celebhal (Celondim Docks)
Resetting Quests to Re-do Them
Thanks to @MeiledoraLOTRO for pointing out that you can reset the cool-down timer on any quest for 5 Mithril Coins. So if you have coins you can almost exchange them for Summer Fest tokens!
TL;DR LOTRO Summer Festival 2019 – Something for Everyone!
You can choose to focus on the races, or running around the quests, or wile away the days fishing. The LOTRO Summer Festival has something everyone can enjoy and there’s plenty to barter for with your Summer Festival Tokens too! Get out there and enjoy it while the weather’s still warm!